Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Day 2 of my self discovery

I have often wondered what God had in store for me, I always knew that I was supposed to marry Mike and have a family but I always knew that there was something else that I was supposed to do. So with saying all this I want to share what that journey that I have been on. When we moved to Kentucky I started subbing at our local elementary and middle schools in our town. I always said no when the high school called (because those kids scared me!!). I really liked being around the kids and teaching them so I decided at the young age of 35 I decided to return to college, I was scared to death and I questioned my decision. I wondered how in the world would I be able to be a wife and and a mother and a student. But somehow this was the path that God had mapped out. It seemed whenever I was really struggling with my decision one bible verse kept showing up. For example on my 1st day on campus (the day Katrina hit) I was walking across campus soaking wet someone walked up and handed me a piece of paper that said

Jeremiah 29:11 (New International Version)

11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

This became my motto and I soon realized that I loved be a college student!! The day I graduated was one of the very best days of my life. I had never been so proud of myself. The next thing I knew I had a job and I was a real teacher. My first year I taught Freshman English, which I loved, however, I believe I found my true calling. This year I am teaching study skills and intervention. I work with kids who for what ever reason struggles with school. Most of them really don't care they just need to know someone cares about them. I love my "kids"!! SO I have come a long way to not even wanting to walking into the high school. I could not imagine my life without these kids. I can see a lot of myself in some of them. My hope for them is that they grow up and have as good of memories that I have of high school and that they are able to make friendships now that when they are 40 years old are writing blogs with those friends!!

Sorry that was a little long!! I am still working on my list:

11. splurge on an I Phone!!

12. spend more time with my friends

13. make sure my friends know how much they mean to me.

14. start writing a book (I have no idea what it will be about)

15. have more patience

3 comments:

  1. How wonderful to know your purpose! Your post really moved me, isn't that what this is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to what you shared in this post. I have had similar things happen to me. I'm proud of you for being brave enough to step out in faith and trust the journey God was putting you on.

    ReplyDelete